Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Our Master Bath

The decision to "upgrade" our master bathroom was due to a Monday morning mishap on my part. A few months ago I was showering before work, reached out of the sliding glass doors to grab my towel off the rack. When I began to lift it from the bar, the entire shower door shattered into thousands of little shards and fell down upon me. Needless to say, my hands and feet were sliced. I had glass chunks all in my hair, and stuck to my body. Matt had already left for work, so I couldn't call for help. I had to walk out of the shower, across the glass covered tile to safety.







It was a fun way to start the week. Can you tell where I was standing in the tub??!!

That night, I dropped by Home Depot to figure out how much replacing the door was going to cost us. It was upwards of $350. I didn't purchase anything. I just went home. We converted the VERY small guest bathroom into our "new Master bath" for the time being, and just kept going with life.

A couple other factors added in to our decision to redo the bathroom... The first being the hideous floor tile. Second, the inability to keep the counter clean. Third, the constant fight between Matt and I over the one sink shoved towards the wall. Fourth, my excessive counter space needs. Fifth, crappy tub insert. Sixth, showerhead out of the drywall... Seventh, NO exhaust fan (COME ON!! Bakersfield heat, opening a window to let the steam out??!! Who planned this??!!)




We loved the guest bathroom of Matt's parents new home. Seeing their shower revealed to us that our shower area had potential. With disregard to the tile and the granite, we copied it exactly. (Thank you M&D!)

We began demo about 3 weeks ago and have been living out of poorly labeled boxes since.













The guy says that it should all be done by the end of next week. Here's where we are at currently.

They framed the shower and moved the sink plumbing to the middle.
















They also moved the shower drain to the middle. They framed the bench in the shower. Tiled, and installed the granite seat.


The cabinet stain samples should be here within the hour, and the cabinets will be installed by Thursday! Once they are in, our tile guy will come back (Friday) and finish off the floor. Our plumber Steve will return to place another toilet, which should function Friday (THANK GOD!! ) Tom (contractor) will be here to install the fixtures the following week, and to do final touches... door frame, painting, medicine cabinet, hang the mirror, shower door installation...


I can't wait!

2 comments:

CHRISTA said...

WHAT A WAY TO GET A NEW SHOWER! I HOPE YOU DIDN'T GET HURT MORE THEN WHAT YOU WROTE! POOR BABY!
I LOVE YOUR NEW BATH ROOM THOUGH. IT LOOKS GREAT! HUGS, C

Sherry said...

I'm loving it too! I just can't wait to use it! SOO tempting to fill up the drawers, hang towels...