Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Lost in Translation


It was amazing ... Today, I learned that I don't have a clue what my husband deals with day-in and day-out at work.

Matt's been going to a conference here in town the last few days involving safety in the oil fields. Since it was their last day, the "conference people" (for lack of a more technical term) took everyone on a tour of two oil fields, and to see the exhibit at Kern County Museum called "Black Gold" (a.k.a. history of oil mining in the Cali. valley). Spouses were invited, so I went.

The man with the microphone on our tour said so many acronyms in one sentence .... It was complete jibberish. I was able to understand the conjunction words (with, the, and, however...) and that was about it. Everything was so far from my world of knowledge. It was amazing, everyone else there was able to interpret what was being said, AND make logical questions up to follow each statement.

I am proud to say that I now know a few new things.

Oil derricks/wells used to look like this:
They don't anymore.


The front part of the derrick is, in my opinion, excellently named..."horsehead."

Elk Hills uses computers, ... Chevron on James Rd. doesn't.

The pipes are off the ground so that they don't corrode.

There are coyotes, kit foxes, and rattlesnakes out there.

Lots of people loose fingers and arms working the oil drilling rigs, hence all the safety meetings.

Sometimes steam is used to make the oil flow better for maximum production.


Aside from that.... it was mainly a blurr.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rod Pumps, Not Derricks...

Stick to Teaching...