Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Thursday, July 5, 2007

Mayberry

Matt and I were invited to spend the morning of the 4th in Palm Tree Circle (a Mayberry-type community here in Bako) by one of my previous "Room 10 5-year olds." It was truely great. The parents in the gated community get together (7 years now) and coordinate festivities for the 4th. They decorated their yards, their vehicles, their children... honored veterans, provided a buffet breakfast, had my ex-kindergarteners sing "God Bless America" and "You're a Grand Ol'Flag," a parade lead by their own "grand marshall," and games with candy prizes to follow. Ordinarily, they have the local fire department come and kick-off the ceremonies - leading the parade around their circle-community. The fire department is known to give rides to anyone who wishes to jump on their truck. This year, unfortunately, the fire crew were sent on a call downtown, and were unable to attend. Even without the firefighters, it was AWESOME!





(Thanks for this picture Mary!)





















My darling, loving, nurturing, caring husband SIGNED ME UP for the potato sack races. After 4 qualifying rounds, I took 2nd place to an eight year old boy. I was THE ONLY ADULT in the competition. My former students loved it....














Later Matt and I both competed in the tug-o- war competition (Girls against Boys). The Girls won... But if you ask Matt... we lost.


It's all a matter of perspective!

--So just to clarify, the girls won!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you two look great! I LOVE this page, I almost feel like I am there... sorta kinda :)
ly
k

Anonymous said...

We are glad you could check it out!!!