Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, July 14, 2008

We've Got The Beat!

So, Thursday I got to go back to my old/new Dr. for my 1st prenatal appointment with her.  This week, I will be released from Dr. Ayyagari - as I will have passed my 1st trimester, where most critical development and problems arise.  I was rather excited to get to see Dr. Crenshaw again.  She is SO MUCH better at talking to me.  Dr. Ayyagari has this little problem with dwelling on the worst possible scenarios - going into grave detail about each - BUT not giving much information on WHY he chooses to do the tests and treatments he selects.  Slightly frustrating, especially as my hormones fluctuate.

After a few test tubes of blood, and TWO pee tests, Dr. Crenshaw whipped out the fetal doppler.  Some goop on my tummy and I was listening to our baby's heartbeat for the first time.  It sounded a lot like a washing machine. "whhshwoo whhshwhoo....."

Matt was at work, and couldn't be there.  When I called him and told him the news he was SO disappointed.  

The following day I drove us back over to the Dr. office and tried to check out a doppler.  Apparently, they don't check them out to "newly pregnant" individuals like myself.  You have to be at least 20 weeks along.  Treene - the gal at the front desk went and spoke with Dr. Crenshaw - who was on her way, not only out to of the office for the night, BUT out of town for her "much needed 2 week vacation." 
She agreed to redo the doppler on me!  SHE IS SO AWESOME!  
Matt's face was classic.  Sort of giddy and filled with awe.  Totally worth it!

The number of beats per minute on Thursday was 166.  Which is within range for 11 1/2 weeks - but on the high side.  Apparently, 

At week 9 the fetal heartbeat tends to beat within a range of 155 to 195 bpm.

The fetal heart rate will begin to decrease and generally will fall within the range of 120 to 160 bpm by week 12. 

Hmmm!!!

Gender Prediction

Is it a Boy or a Girl, the old wives tale suggest that fetal heart rates above 140 bpm are a sure sign it's going to be a girl and fetal heart rates below 140 bpm mean it's a boy.  This "theory" is based on the fact that girls have higher metabolisms than boys, unfortunately there is no statistical proof to verify this tale.  

(But I guess that's just one more reason to call the baby a "SHE" !!!)

Here's somebody else's doppler heartbeat... but it's the concept. 
(click the underlined link below)


6 comments:

Lewis Family said...

If you want to know the gender ASAP, I saw this in one of my parenting magazines.

www.intelligender.com

Unknown said...

Congratulations again! It must be such a wonderful experience hearing your baby's heartbeat for the 1st time. :)

Anonymous said...

I totally have a bebes heart beat listener if you'd like to have it, I forgot I had it with Noah so I never used it with him, Andrew was the only heart beat I heard on it but your more then welcomed to have it. Let me know.

Sherry said...

Aime! I'd LOVE to borrow it! You really don't mind?!!

Sherry said...

Jenny, thank you for the info.. I'll look into it!

Anonymous said...

Yeah let me know sometime when we can meet up or drop it off to you, Saturday is a good day for me. Are you going to Kassidy's Party maybe then? Let me know.