Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, July 25, 2008

Hallelujah!

Today I feel like a new (pregnant) woman!   It is amazing how a conversation about drugs can change your entire outlook on your pregnancy.  

Not to say that I was "hating" every aspect of pregnant life -- but I dreaded 7:00 injections.  I disliked morning and nightly suppositories.  I had to set the alarm on my phone to keep all my medications straight - and it would sound 8 times a day.  Those sorts of things didn't make me feel that steady in regards to how the pregnancy was going.  I kept thinking about those really stupid ladies that have made the news because they went to the bathroom one day and birthed a healthy child.  Oh my gosh!  When did that grow inside me?!!   - the lack of effort on their part is astounding, given my first 3 months.

The new me:  
Dr. Brian Koos (pronounced 'Caws' - like it matters!) of UCLA came and met with me and my mother.  He was my special "called in" doctor that dealt with the problem OB patients.  UCLA - that was reassuring.  After careful review of my case file (which is a novel),  15 different ultrasound shots of the kid, and a quick glance at my legs, he stated, "you're allergic to Heparin. You should stop taking it." 

RELIEF!

Later in an office he typed up his findings, and summarized his thoughts for us - "You should go off Heparin, and I don't see any need for you to continue on any other kind of blood thinning medication."
We sort of squirmed.  Dr. Ayyagari had been adamant that my positive test results were IMPORTANT.  Heparin was NECESSARY for the entire duration of pregnancy.  

Evidently, the type of lipid panel I tested positive on wasn't known for causing miscarriages.  - - and since I was passed the 1st trimester, I was 'home free'.  Dr. Ayyagari was just being OVERLY cautious - scaring the crap of me - and making me stab myself for the fun of it over 180 times.  (I'm going to try to convince myself that INJECTIONS are what made my 1st trimester successful.)

We still needed to hear it again.  Dr. Koos called in one of the other Dr.'s on staff at San Dimas Medical Group.  They discussed me.  Then, Dr. Davis called us into HIS office.  Matt arrived just in time to hear the verdict.

No more heparin.
No more injections of any kind.
No more suppositories.
Iron supplements can be limited to once a day - since I wasn't ever THAT anemic.
I can keep taking the 81mg of asprin each day. (big deal!)

OH MY GOSH!  I'M NORMAL!  
I FEEL LIKE I JUST GRADUATED FROM SOMETHING! 

I can breathe again.  
  

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

"NORMAL" may be a strech...

Lewis Family said...

Yea!!!! Such a relief, no gender guesses from the DR??? I can't wait to find out. You need to post a gender guess game before you do find out and everyone can post their guesses. I also can't wait to hear name ideas. We already have baby # 2's name (that won't be for a few more years) picked out. LOL!!

Laura said...

"I feel like I just graduated from something.." That line made me laugh. I am so happy that you aren't injecting yourself anymore. Every time I have a pregnant friend that is having a hard time, I tell them about your injections to make them feel better. You're a hero. See you soon! I got your message and tomorrow sounds great. I'll ask the madre when. xoxo

Anonymous said...

Are you seeing a Dr a san dimas that's where I went to, Dr Tan was my Dr and I as well saw Dr Koos not so friendly though, he kept seeing me to make sure Noah didn't have CP like Andrew. I loved that place though they are awesome there and if you have the baby at Mercy you'll love it. I went back and gave everyone thank you letters they all acted as moms to me. Also Congrats on no more meds Im so happy for you now you can enjoy your pregnancy so much more.