Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Nephews

Matt's sister, Kelly drove her two boys Jacob (10) and Timmy (8) to New Mexico where they met up with their father who is now living in Bakersfield.  They've been in town a couple of weeks with their father and Saturday morning, we got to steal them for the day!  We got them around 11 and took them to Costco where we quickly picked out  swim trunks for both of them and ate some free samples!  Next, we hit up Taco Bell for a small lunch and then we drove to Edwards Cinemas.

Prior to going to the movie, we went to RiteAid to get the necessary candy for the show  - which I stashed in my Mary Poppins purse.  We watched "The Hulk"  --- The boys thought "It was SO AWESOME!!"  I thought, "eghh, Iron Man was SO much better."

Later, we went to my mom's house to swim and BBQ.  The boys were hilarious jumping off the diving board.  They made up so many dives and posed and said funny things in air.  My mom was a crack up as well.  She and Timmy took on Jacob and Matt in a chicken fight.  I think everyone ended up drinking a little pool water.  The four of them finished off the swimming fun with a shallow-end game of Marco Polo -- Where my Mom and Matt were repeatedly losers.   Some hotdogs, pineapple  and cherries later and we were on our way back to our house for the night.      

The boys played tug with our two dogs, chased them around a bit, and did, what I'm certain the cats would deem 'harassment' to the two of them.  Once it was good and dark, we built a fire in the pit and roasted a couple smores.  

Baths, teeth, and one blown up bed later and we were ready to call it a night.  --Jacob had other plans.  His Dad mentioned that he had a little cough the night before...we hadn't noticed it during the day.  AS SOON AS HE LAYED DOWN, Jacob started coughing.  I hooked him up with some cough syrup, lozenges, and a bottle of water and figured we'd be good.  Wrong.  Middle of the night, we hear a small knock on our bedroom door.  We are yelling "come in," and nothing happens.  Finally, we hear Jacob's voice say, "I just threw-up in my hands." 

Stink.  

I got Jacob cleaned up, Matt got the house cleaned up, and we got Jacob set up for "precautionary round two."  (Little side note: Matt DOES NOT do throw-up.  Can't even handle it when it's grass that the dogs ate.  Gags all over the place!) 

Jacob slept through the remainder of the night just fine.  We didn't even hear him cough - post vomit.  The next morning, we woke, and started making pancakes (bland) and scrambled eggs.  Both boys ate very slowly, and neither finished their short stack.  
We packed them up, got them ready to go back to their Dad's (and church), and headed off towards the other side of Bakersfield.  

During the drive, Timmy was really quiet.  Until he said, "Do you guys have any water?"  We said, "No," and that "we were almost to his Dad's house."   Timmy nodded.  Three seconds later, he vomited.  All over Matt's truck, all over himself, all over his spare shorts. 

I love Sonic.  

That's where Matt was able to pull over.  They gave us some napkins and a cup of water.  Matt was trying to deal with his truck, I was trying to deal with Timmy... Matt started gagging.  I told him, to switch me places - and he happily did.   I found out in under a minute, that my gag reflex  - post pregnancy, wasn't at all what it used to be.  I couldn't handle it.  I tried twice, running away both times towards a nearby bush.  After that, just trying to help at all put me over the edge.  
I don't want to sound unsupportive or judgmental, but I never thought Matt had it in him!  And, thank goodness he did, or we'd still be standing at Sonic. 

We delivered the boys to their father in a less than pristine condition for church.  In fact, poor Timmy was "wearing" or "holding up" Jacob's spare shorts -- which had to be at least 8 sizes too large. 

I was really hoping to redeem myself this time with the boys and create a better memory.  Last time, (a few years ago) Timmy and I crashed hard on GoCarts at John's Incredible Pizza - and I delivered him back to his father with big red sash across his neck from the safety belt.

We are hoping to get them again later in July and take them up to Coarsegold to see their Great Grandparents.  Cross your fingers for us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I swear your story is like deja vu for me in so many ways, but welcome to parenthood. Hey your lucky though my husband won't touch any of it. In the beggining I'd be gagging but now I'm a pro poop and vomit cleaner upper. It's amazing what kid's will do to ya. I really enjoyed the story I laughed all the way through it. Andrew's ivites in the mail tomorrow. :)

Anonymous said...

I have tears in my eyes... so so sososososos sorry

Tim NEVER throws up! Jake has done the hand thing many times... so gross, but he tries to keep it neat :)

No pics of the eventful day???

xoxoxoxo